Thursday, October 10, 2013

Miller Lee Mundie

Our baby GIRL, Miller Lee Mundie arrived at 8:25 Friday morning.  I had decided to go ahead and be induced that morning if she had not come on her own, but apparently Miller had already decided October 4th would be her birthday.  I had a routine appointment the day before, October 3rd, and told my doctor I was still holding out hope for going into labor on my own.  I was dilated to about 5 cm already.  He said he could strip my membranes which sometimes works and sometimes doesn't and I decided to give it a shot.  I went by the grocery store afterwards and got stuff to make dinner that night.  At around 6:00 as Daniel was getting home I started having contractions.  They were pretty consistent (5-7 minutes apart) for about 3 hours, but were not all that painful.  After some time they became a little less consistent so we decided to go on to bed and play it by ear.  My induction time window was 4am Friday so I knew it would be an early morning regardless.  We went on to bed and I would wake up here and there with contractions and by this time they were more painful.  Finally at about 2:45 I decided to go ahead and get in the shower and get ready to go.  We left for the hospital at about 3:50 and by this time I was sure it was real labor.  On the way, the hospital actually called to see if I could go ahead and come in for the induction, to which I told them I was already on the way and was in labor.  We got back to a room at about 4:25 and when the nurse checked me she told me I was 7cm.  She asked about an epidural, but I told her I was not totally sure yet, that I thought I wanted to try it without one.  She was very supportive and told me I could walk around some until the doctor would come in to break my water.  We walked for a little while, and the contractions were getting closer together.  At 5:45 the doctor came and broke my water and everything got so much more intense from there.  I ended up trying out basically everything the hospital had to offer in the way of natural childbirth: the birthing ball, the bathtub, a peanut ball, etc.  The worst possible position for me to be in was laying on my back in the bed, so I was up for anything other than that.  They would hook me up periodically so they could monitor the baby, but really gave me the freedom to move around as I wanted/could tolerate.  I stayed stuck at 8 1/2 cm for a lot longer than I wanted to, and was beginning to think I could not do it naturally for another second.  Not long after that Miller decided to cooperate and come on out, but she wanted to do it her way. :)  She was born face first (not sunny side up) which apparently only happens in about 1 out of every 1,000 births.  It is not dangerous, but usually requires a C-section because it is so much harder for the baby to make their way down and out.  Thankfully I was able to feel everything to push her out on my own, which most likely prevented me from having a C-section.  It was by far the hardest, most intense thing I have ever done, but I am so glad it all happened the way that it did. The moment Daniel got to tell me, "It's a Girl!" is one that I will never forget.  The nurses kept telling me that she looked like Angelia Jolie with her full lips... poor Miller was SO bruised and swollen from coming out face first.  She totally did not look like one of our babies in the beginning, but quickly started looking more like herself.  The nurses marked her bassinet with a "facial bruising" sign so that other nurses walking by would not think she had quit breathing.  I felt so bad for her...

Miller Lee Mundie
7 pounds, 5 ounces
19 inches long

Her swelling went down quickly, though, and she started looking more like one of our babies...











Family of 5! :)

Maddox and Maclain are very proud of their little sister and are adjusting well.  I was able to go home from the hospital Saturday evening and our days at home are going very well.  The last 3 nights have been wonderful and Miller is doing great sleeping on her own in her bed.  The first couple of nights she preferred to be held. :)  We are so thankful for this sweet blessing!  I am still trying to wrap my mind around the fact that the girls will out number the boys in this house. :)

5 comments:

  1. Y'all are going to have SO much fun with such a big family! Secretly jealous :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats, Katie! She is beautiful! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sweet family picture! Love you all!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. CongratsKatie!! I still can't believe both of our I girls are here:) Miller is just too precious!

    ReplyDelete