Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Applique Experiments

One of the main reasons I wanted an embroidery machine was so that I could do appliques. I have found several free ones online that I think are really cute, and I have bought one so far. It took some tweaking to get it right, but I think I have the hang of it now. You definitely need more than the machine to do it, so after several trips to Hobby Lobby and one to Opelika Sewing Center, I think I have everything I need now. The first shirt I did for Maddox was done exactly how the manual said to do it, but it didn't turn out quite right. So after talking to a friend on the phone, she explained an easier way to do it that worked perfectly.

Shirt #1 (several imperfections that the camera does not show)...

Shirt #2...

Shirt #3 (I did this one for a friend of mine that is giving it as a gift)...

If I could change anything about the dragonfly one, I should have positioned the green fabric so that more of the polka dots were showing instead of only 2... but you live and learn! It was too late once I realized it. I think it still looks ok though. This is pretty fun!!

2 comments:

  1. This is something I kept telling myself I'd learn to do before Ainsley was born. My friends make the cutest appliqued shirts for their little ones. You'll have to teach me some time. These turned out cute and you had some good ideas! It's nice to have something like this to do for fun in your spare time. Maybe one day.....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey katie! The owl tutorial I found here: http://ashbyfamilyblog.blogspot.com/2010/02/easy-owl-pattern-and-tutorial-win-one.html

    It is super easy and took me about 30 minutes to make. If you want to sell them you can buy the pattern for $12. Its a really easy project!!

    And ps I am totally jealous that you have already been using your applique features. I haven't even started using it but now I really need to! Those onesies are too cute.

    ReplyDelete