Saturday, October 31, 2009

Adventures in Sewing



So lately I have had this bug to learn how to sew. I am sure it has something to do with the fact that I am going to have a baby. But either way, I think it is a great skill to have. So I did some thinking and called a local sewing store to see if they offered classes. It turns out they do! I start November 9th and I am so excited! I have a little sewing experience but not very much. Before I was in education, I was in apparel merchandising and I took a sewing class. But it has been so long since I have done it, I really don't remember anything. So I decided that I am going to give this a try. I wanted to start small, and get good at easier things and then progress forward. I began by purchasing a really inexpensive sewing machine Thursday night. It is a Singer Simple and I think it is going to be a great machine to learn on and practice with.


I decided that my first project was going to be a bib. I did some googleing and found a downloadable pattern and thought I would start with that. Wow, was that a disaster! It was extremely round and very hard for some reason. So then I thought with my handy dandy math-oriented husband's help, we could come up with our own pattern and go from there. So that is what we did. Daniel drew out the pattern and it seemed much easier to follow than the first one I tried. There were more straight edges on the one he made which made it easier. I got some old fabric from my grandmother and thought I would make a bib out of it first before I messed up any fabric that I had bought. That one turned out ok so I thought I would go ahead and make one from the fabric I wanted it made from. Here are the two side by side...


I wanted to make it reversible so the next picture shows the fabric on the other side...





I am really happy with the way it turned out. After running into several problems that had to be worked out and after being up until midnight last night (very unlike us) I am liking the finished product. I still have a lot of both fabrics left over so I am trying to decide what to tackle next. Any ideas??



Lastly, here are a couple of pictures from a get-together at some friends' house last night...



Happy Halloween everyone!!!



No comments:

Post a Comment